Senior Pet Care
You probably already know that dogs and cats age about seven times faster than humans, but are you doing enough to keep your senior pet healthy through the golden years? Senior and geriatric pets are among our favorite patients here at Sheridan West Animal Clinic, but they’re also among the most delicate. As pets age, their risk of developing certain health problems tends to increase, but with diligent at-home care and professional veterinary care, senior pets are living longer, healthier lives.
That’s why we recommend that you bring your senior pet in for a wellness exam once or twice a year. This allows us to be proactive about common issues like arthritis, obesity, and diabetes. These visits also allow YOU to present any questions or concerns you have about your aging pet, and how to best care for them from home. Our goal is to provide your senior pet with quality care here in Cooper City so they can be around to keep you company for as long as possible.
Caring for Your Senior Pet
The average lifespan of a dog is 10-13 years. For cats, it’s 12-18 years. However, by implementing an effective at-home wellness plan, you can help your four-legged friend live longer. In addition to the standard wellness exam and vaccinations, the following is a list of factors to consider to help your pet live longer:
- Diet and nutrition: Alterations may need to be made to ensure a healthy diet for a senior pet.
- Exercise/weight management: Senior pets tend to be less active, so it’s important to create opportunities for them to be active.
- Dental health: More than 50% of pets over the age of 3 have some form of gum disease.
- Senior laboratory testing: This is beneficial to test for a variety of conditions, including thyroid problems.
- Special accommodations: If your senior pet has arthritis or a related condition, they may benefit from having ramps in place of stairs and a dog/cat bed.
Schedule your senior pet’s care appointment in Cooper City by calling 954-432-6230. You can also use our convenient appointment request form.